[RC] RE selling horses and the sheikhs - Andrea Brrand

I'm a bit late in the discussion but can give a South African perspective.

A number of years ago the Sheikhs started buying SA horses.  They started with the best athletes, proven 3-5year track records, paid good money.  They performed well on these horses.  Over the past couple of years the buying became silly.  Horses with only 3 x 80km rides were bought for $15 000 plus, anything with more mileage went for close to $20 000.  A few with longer and better track records went for close on $30 000.

Why SA horses?  The rides in SA is generally quite difficult or hard going, if a horse was sound after doing 3 x 80km rides at a pace of 20km/h+ it could probably develop into something special.  I of course disagree.  People are riding at breakneck speed with 5 year olds, I can't imagine these horses would last, but for a Sheikh one win on such a horse probably is good enough.

This has of course made our market unaffordable.  I would buy all your Arabs for $1500!  A 5 year old with good breeding, green, would go on average for at least $2500.  Anything with a bit of mileage and you can double the price.

How's that for Emerging market economics!

Andrea