Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:53 PM
Subject: [RC] Pigeon fever

Well, I won't know for sure for a few days, but I believe Lexy has this pigeon fever, also known as dryland strangles. She has a swelling about the size of a paper plate on her abdomen, right behind where her cinch would go, with a smaller swelling, about the size of my fist, extending up on the right side of it. She's also mopey and Abby is hovering over her like a mother hen. Spoke with the vet this afternoon and she said that is one place the abscess can occur, though it is less frequent than the pectoral swelling. She has no other explanation for such a swelling, which wasn't there yesterday. So we're proceeding as if it is. Give her a gram of bute twice a day to keep her more comfortable and see if the swelling "ripens" and develops a soft spot. Hopefully a "head" can be determined before it ruptures, so a vet can come and lance it and the abscess liquid can be caught and disposed of. If not, I will try to determine where she was when it drained and sterilize the ground (keeping her in one corral). No point in separating the girls - some get it, some don't. Abby's been just as exposed (presumably by flies) as Lexy, so she'll either get it or she won't. If she does have it, the belly is the best place as it drains better than the chest. The internal abscesses are the dangerous ones and usually the horse dies, but they aren't known to get them externally and internally at the same time, so should just be a pain for a few days. Sigh.....
Lani in western South Dakota