Re: [RC] The Universe - Truman Prevatt

Ed,

You are absolutely correct. The first postulate in Einsteins special theory of relativity - the most tested theory currently known to man - is that there is no preferred reference frame and all physics is the same in every inertial reference frame. All motion is measured relative to an inertial reference frame. The speed of light is a constant independent of which inertial frame in which it is measured.

If you were flying in a space ship at a constant velocity with no acceleration or decelleration you would not be able to feel any forces on to tell you that you were moving. All physical experiments would turn out the same independent if this space ship were going 250,000 km/sec or 1 meter per second when measured in the frame in which they were performed. However, if I sit in my space ship traveling at 1 m/sec and measured the distance of a stick at rest that measured one meter in the ship traveling at 250,000 km/sec I would get it to be .41 meters long and I would see his clock to run slower.

We don't know we are moving at 240,000 mph because we are at rest in the earths reference frame and all our motion is measured in that frame - no more no less.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

"... hurtling through space at about 240,000 MPH..."
Since we are talking about philosopyy:

Relative to what? If I remember my physics properly, ever since the Mickelson-Morley experiment disproved the existance of luminiferous ether (the all prevading substance that allowed the propigation of light waves, not the chemical) all velocity must be measured against a frame of reference, and all frames of reference are equally valid.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics