[RC] Catch-Riding endurance horses? - Karen Casemier

To make a very long story very short, I have come to the decision that my mare just is not quite cut out for this sport. She is, without a doubt, one of the best trail horses out there, and she is progressing nicely in dressage, but she internalizes stress and just does not cope well with the competitive atmosphere at the rides themselves. However, I love her like a sister and can't bear to part with her.

At this point in my life (busy stressful career, another young horse at home, husband in vet school), it isn't the right time to add another horse to our herd. When my husband graduates, I should have more free time so I can continue to ride my beloved Mazzie and condition and train an endurance prospect. In the meantime, I was wondering if there are every opportunities to "catch ride" at endurance rides? Still being new to the sport, I didn't know if this was done much. I did, however, think it would be a great way for me to get more experience in the sport, get on different types of horses and see which type best suited me, and hopefully help someone out who has too many horses and not enough riders.

I'm not directly looking for opportunities at this moment (ride season is over here in Michigan), just wondering if this might be a possibility for next season.