Re: [RC] Too bad - Chris Paus

cherie,

sometimes bad things happen to good people. It would be interesting to know the other side of the story before making judgment. I know you feel wronged, but the best thing you can do now is concentrate on helping this horse get well. You never know, he may turn out to be your best equine partner ever.

Let me tell you my story of being wronged. I sold a beautiful Anglo Arab gelding to a lady in Texas. She hired a commercial shipper to pick him up. The driver completely bungled handling the horse. I had my leg in a brace from knee surgery so I was unable to do much at all. The gelding, only 10 days from his second birthday, had to be euthanized in my driveway. He freaked out with the driver and somehow broke his left rear leg, nearly severing it at the hock.

I not only had the trauma of seeing it happen and then dealing with it afterwards, but I had to call the buyer to tell her that her horse was dead. I was extremely thankful that she had listened to me and insured the horse. Neither of us lost money on the deal. I spent a lot of time also telling this board and the world about that shipper and our ordeal.

At some point, I finally decided that there was really nothing I could do. We couldn't bring the horse back. My railing against the shipper didn't help me any emotionally. I had to let it go and move on. Believe me, it took a long time to come to that realization.

You at least have a horse to show for it. My buyer and I had nothing but a mound in the ground where he was buried.

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. it's crappy, but I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason. sometimes that reason is not always apparent right away. My buyer could have said bad things about me. She was expecting a horse to be delivered and she got a call at 4 a.m. that he was dead. She not only didn't hold it against me, she bought that horse's sister as a two week old filly. (now the 4YO mare I was worried about in the Texas hurricane)

this spring, I had to keep a sold colt here for several months before his buyer could get her trailer fixed and come get him.  10 days before she was to arrive, he fell on something and sliced his knee open. I walked the whole pasture and never found the source of the injury. Luckily, it was a surface wound and didn't affect the joint, but I am thankful that she was understanding about it and not only still wanted the colt, but paid his vet bills. She now is glad she did. I think he's turning out to be a pretty cool little horse for her.

I told you about my stallion purchase and how I thought I was misled. But, it turned out to be a great deal for me and the horse. Yes, I had to put some money into him to bring him back to health. But he has rewarded me many times over with the nice foals he's sired, with the fun rides I've had on him, and with the pleasure I get from just watching him.

I wish you and this horse the best.

chris

Cherie <cl705@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unfortunately, it has taken my going to this list to shake things up a bit with the lady who sold me a sick horse.

"Slowee, slowee catchee monkey," Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com