From: "Shannon Seeger" <radjaforever@xxxxxxxxxxx> [radjaforever AT hotmail DOT com]
To: elsietee@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Ridecamp - Suspensory Injury
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:26:27 +0000

Hi Lucy,

I don't know how to do replies and postings on Ridecamp so that't why I'm just emailing you. Maybe you can post this for Cindy. I have a big rangy Quarter Horse gelding, Radja, who had a suspensory injury 2 and a half years ago. I had been conditioning him for limited distance. His injury was very bad and was complicated by infection from a dirty needle during a routine lameness exam. I went through all the rehab with him and we even ended up down at the state university vet school, however he will never be rideable again, partly due to his VERY bad hind leg conformation - straight stifles, long pasterns. The last time I took him for a short walking trail ride, there was heat and swelling in that leg the next day (more cold-hosing, ice, confinement, bute for about a week, then turnout with his pasture pal).
He's fine now. In contrast, my little Arab was "off" about 2 and a half months ago. Vet said his front pasterns were sore (this ended up being a coffin joint issue due to improper shoeing) but he also had a very mild strain to his suspensory, probably from compensating for the sore pasterns.
He was laid off for 2 months - confined to a paddock for a couple of weeks, then turnout alone, then turnout with buddies. We have the shoeing problem fixed and he is doing great. With both horses, I considered shock wave therapy, but it isn't absolutely proven, and I'm not rich. From what I've read about suspensory injuries, the gradual increase in exercise is crucial to getting the fibers in the ligament to heal correctly. I think an ultrasound is very important to establish whether there is a hole or whether it is truly just a "strain". If there is a whole then you need to do the structured rehab. If it is just a strain then a layoff would be sufficient. With Radja, I had numerous ultrasounds done at 2 different vets and they couln't find the hole in his susp. They finally found it when we went down to the vet school.
So anyway, get the ultrasound done, give her plenty of time off, and return to work gradually.

Hope this helps.
Shannon Seeger and the herd - Radja, Raindanze, and Sparky the Wonder Horse.

If someone can help me post to Ridecamp I would really appreciate it.
radjaforever AT hotmail DOT com