RE: [RC] Irish, weight, making friends - Chris Paus

My stallion is the best babysitter for weanings. He takes really good care of them and enjoys their company.  I have to remove them from his pasture in the spring though, he starts to look at the colts as competition when mares come into heat.

However, for several months he has his own little herd of colts and after that he is within eyesight and ear range of the mares and geldings. I learned the hard way though, that he was never taught to socialize closely with a herd, so I've got two sturdy fences with an alleyway between him and the other horses. He was 20 when I got him and had spent his life stalled away from the others.

chris

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
also live right across a
driveway from the mares, who come up and tease routinely. They are a
part of the "herd" on the whole place, taking in the sights and sounds.

Good luck with your fellow.

Heidi

"Slowee, slowee catchee monkey," Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com