RE: [RC] New Horse - Carol Suggs

Cheri, sorry to hear of this.   When buying sight unseen this sometimes happens.

We purchased two babies from a breeder in Nevada.  We drove out there (almost to the Utah border) and picked them out of a pasture when they were only about 6 months old.  We didn't pick them up for about 6 months (as per our agreement with the breeder), we arranged with the  breeder to meet us in Fallon.

They were very wormy, poor coat condition and feet had not been handled.  The one gelding had very crooked front feet which could had been started to be corrected with some corrective light trims, but never was touched.  They were barely halter broke.

Our arrangement with the breeder was to buy them as yearlings and that he would take on the care for them and get them halter broke and trailer broke.

We put them on a worming schedule immediately and you would not beleive what came out of these horses.  GROSS is an understatement.  Apparently he told us that he only worms once a year, and for the babies that occured when they were weaned.

Didn't have it in writing and this is what we got.  Will never do that again. I love the horses, they both turned 5 this year and have been wonderful assets to our family. We got the colts feet under control and although they (the feet) will never be perfect, he is in my eyes.

So it comes down to get it in writing.  Get some sort of guarantee of health, vet check, something.  But as the buyer it is up to you to ask all the questions IE: any vices, health issues training issues?    Take it as a lesson learned.

Carol, Mariposa, CA