Re: [RC] [RC] Suspensory injury - Chris Paus

cynthia,

Green cool might be Farnam's "cool green jelly." I used it to rehab a horse with an outer branch suspensory injury, left hind leg. It comes in a big jar, it's fairly cheap, $10. works like a dream for reducing swelling. I've talked to some friends in the race industry and they said it's a staple at the track. You can use it on humans too!

My little gray, Zab, injured his two years ago in December. I went out to count noses before going to bed, and there he was, three legged lame, with what looked like a baseball on the side of his foot!

took him for a lameness eval as soon as I could. Ultrasound revealed a strained but not torn (thank goodness) suspensory. The vet's recommended treatment was three months of stall rest, leg wraps and bute for two weeks. Let me tell you, I now sympathize with anyone with a horse in stall rest! Gaaaaaaaaa!

I don't have stalls, just run in sheds, so a round pen was the closest thing to confinement I had. He just about trashed those round pen panels before the three months was over, hurling himself against them to get out!

I'd wrap his leg 24 hours on with the cool green jel and 24 hours off. Every time I used it, the swelling was down noticeably.

however, I didn't use it on him when competing. I waited til he was healed up, brought him back slowly, and rode him without any wraps or leg protection. He's got a bit of a windpuff on that fetlock, but is sound as can be and has competed in CTR and LD since his injuryl.

chris

Cynthia Eyler <eylerca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sarah,

What is green cool?  My understanding is that applying anything with menthol (actually, anything except alcohol or Absorbine) to the horse's legs before a ride is not legal for AERC competition because these products contain ingredients that would or could be absorbed through the skin.

"Slowee, slowee catchee monkey," Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com