[RC] Oro training ... ? - Cat ^. .^ ~

Hi

This is my first horse. He is an Arab, 18.5 years old, about 100 lbs or more underweight when I got him. He is doing much better now. But still needs 50 - 75 lbs.

Am trying to find what balance he likes and what rein height etc. My background is mostly jumping. He likes to go over small logs in the forest too, which is nice on occasion. The forest has tiny cinder floor covered with pine needles so the surface is great for walking, trotting, jumping, etc.
Some areas is sandy dirt. So it is mixed. Even some places are very deep cinder "lakes" to walk through for exercise.

I am also interested in doing endurance. So I have the horse, which needs to be more healthy. Now I am going to get boots for him next week. The soles of his feet aren't thick enough. Now of course I need to think about getting a trailer and a truck to pull it. Wow, lots of investment.

Suggestions for starting out as far as training schedules? I know a lot of walking and trotting is good. We have a great outdoor dressage arena.

For example, how many 20 m circles should I do each day at a trot as a baseline? He seems to be in pretty good condition, but the upper respiratory infection needs to be cleared up before I start an serious work, of course. Just trying to get his training plan in order ahead of time.

Do you all train by time or distance or both? What about starting out. He seems fine with 2-3 hours of walk/trot. But how do I begin to increase the load without over doing it?

Thanks ~

-- Cheers, Fay

? * http://www.mangosteen-juice.biz/fayskelley * ?