Re: [RC] Best horse boots for trail riding? - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 10/17/2005 9:35:27 PM Central Standard Time, karen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

(knock
on wood, cross fingers, burn incense, sacrifice chocolate, etc)

Sacrifice chocolate?!?  Let's not get crazy, now!!!  <G>

As for boots, unless you have lots of rocks/gravel, or are going to be riding enough miles that you're wearing off hoof faster than it grows, you can probably leave him barefoot (no boots), if that's what you prefer.  My 5 yr old gelding will do his first LD barefoot this coming weekend with my husband.  He'll get shoes after that ride, since the next ride he'll do is rocky, and we ride in lots of rocky areas during winter when the woods are full of hunters.  But for his conditioning thus far, he's done fine barefoot.  My 50 mile horse has shoes...he does more miles, and encounters more gravel roads at rides.  So what I'm saying is, your guy might do fine on the trails with no boots, just barefoot, if he has good feet and you're not riding on rocks a lot.  As for boots, we tried the Easyboot Epics in New Mexico (over shoes) and liked them.

Dawn in East Texas