[RC] truck campers and long bed vs short bed trucks - Jonni

Need a new truck and I would like a short bed with a camper. <<<

If I remember, short bed trucks have a 6' bed length, as to the standard (or
long) bed which is 8'.  So, you would have a 2' hang over with an 8' camper.
I have a 9.5' camper, on a standard bed truck. So, I have a 1.5' over hang.
I have an extended hitch, which I have had ZERO problems with. But, it was a
custom hitch, rated for my trailer, and is one beefy accessory. Link to
photos of it below.  Myself, I would not want to go any longer than the
extension that I have. But more what I think you should consider, is if a
short bed truck would give you the same stability as a long bed when a
camper is put on it?  Unless you go with one of the lighter campers, that
are geared towards the short bed truck, I'd have concerns. Personally, we
also prefer a dually for hauling around a camper for added stability, AND,
we also added airbags to our suspension. Your 2 horse trailer is not a
problem. I'd guess any of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are rated to tow /
carry much more than what the loaded 8' camper and loaded 2 horse trailer
would add up to in weight. But, again, stability of the truck would be my
consideration. Just like stools and tables, when the legs (or tires) are
spread further apart, you get more stability. Then, add 2 more tires on a
dually, and you will get even more stability. Yes, many folks do have
campers on non dual rear wheeled trucks. I am just saying my preference
after having campers for about 20 years now.

And the diesel vs. gas is a personal choice. For your load, I would not feel
the need for diesel as much as those hauling larger rigs. We love our
diesel. I love the no tune ups, and low maintenance. It does require oil
changes more often than some do with their gas trucks. Diesel is more $$$
now, but you will usually get better MPG. For pulling loads, I don't think
they can be beat. (ever wonder why most big rigs, big tractors and heavy
equipment are diesel??? Built to work hard, with less maintenance)

Anyway, here is the link to our hitch, and camper tie downs etc.

http://community.webshots.com/album/14477263kZldcwvJVd
text on each photo is over on the right hand side.

Jonni