[RC] Sensitive Ears - Suzy Ticer

I ride a 10 year old, 15.3 hand Arab named Kidd. I have had him for about a year and a half. I have only done 25s on him so far usually finishing in the top half. I hope to do a 50 at Thanksgiving. Generally speaking his is a great horse not spooky, takes care of himself on the trail, eats as often as he can, drinks, etc. He prefers to ride with his buddy Toby, my husband's horse, all the time but we are working on this.

My problem is that Kidd hates to have anything touch his ears. This make tacking him up a little difficult at times. He will raise his head up as high as he can to avoid having anything touch his ears. He does not bite or swing is head in a threatening manner. Once the head stall/bridle is on everything is OK, except my arms which at times are just not long enough. I have tried to touch is ears gently anytime time I can, especially while he is eating or while my husband is shoeing. At the last ride I had a vet look as his ears, and he said he did not see anything wrong with them. I now basically take the headstall apart and place it over his poll then slip it over his ears instead of putting it on nose first. I am trying to convert to a hackmore from a bit, which has worked well once it is one him.

Any suggestions as to how to correct this problem. I have only been riding about 4 years and am not a horse trainer. I have fine tuned Kidd from being an arena horse to endurance, don't spook at every rock or tree, eat and drink when ever it is offered, etc.

Thanks for any info.
--
Suzy Ticer and Kidd
Johnson City, Texas