From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Carol Suggs
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 8:51 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Question regarding impactions, cause there of

After a work out one of my mares will not drink water, especially at an event.  (I even bring water from home and she turns her nose up at it)  She will, however eat hay.  Although she doesn't seem to be in distress and I have never had her colic or tie up, I always am worried that without having a lot of water in her system that she will someday end up getting an impaction.  During the summer months I did add some powdered electrolye to her pellets (I feed wheat hay in the night and alfalfa in the am and Purina's Natures Choice: Mare Maintenance pellets).  That seemed to help encourage her to drink water.  Now that the weather has cooled I quit the electrolytes, but she has fallen back into the routine of not drinking after a work out.  She does eat her salt block (which I know doesn't give all the stuff they need that is why I feed the MM),  should I continue giving the electolyes thru the cooler months to encourage her to drink more?

I don't endurance ride, but I do cattle working events  and a lot of arena and trail work.   We normally spend 3 hours in our work outs about 4 times a week, which I know doesn't seem, very long to a lot of you folks, but for what I do it is considered hard.

She just started this not drinking thing about a year ago.  She is 9 year old paint mare (more TB looking than QH looking) about 1100 pounds and in excellant health.

Carol-Mariposa