[RC] RC: good mare day but dilemma - Carol Suggs

"...But I have a dilemma. The mare's teeth have sharp edges and she really fusses with her bit (a very mild eggbutt snaffle). The vet had to cancel our appointment this week and the soonest he can do her teeth is next Tuesday. which would be only 4 days from the ride, or the following week after the ride"

Chris,  I would get the dental work done, but not take Miss Ali to the ride.

I try not to do anything different, like give shots, change feed, have dental work or for that matter have new shoes put on the week prior (sometimes two weeks prior) to doing an event.  As I have said before on RC, I don't endurance ride, but I do a lot of other events and I think that any change or potential change to a horse prior to any event has the potential to become a problem.  You want your horse to be comfy and concentrating on you and not have the ouchyness that those rough edges of her teeth may be causing her, plus you want to maintain control at all times.

You don't want to risk the chance that you get her teeth done and then she is ouchy and doesn't eat or drink well during the ride.  Plus if you opt to ride with the biteless bridle, well riding a run away is no fun and can be dangerous not only to you but to others around you.  (Hey ya never know, she may do fine in the biteless bridle, but why take the chance?).

Although you feel compelled to ride, she is doing so well and the ride is in your hometown, I still would refrain from taking her on this go around.

Good luck with your decision!  Happy riding.

Carol-Mariposa

Carol Suggs
Mariposa Financial Services
209-742-5466 Voice