Re: [RC] Pony Passes 9K - Barbara McCrary

I can certainly agree with this philosophy.  I imagine riders who are going for top positions are concentrating on their strategy.  I like to ride along an look at the scenery, smell the flowers or sagebrush or whatever, listen to the forest or the birds or think about the pioneers who rode before us through the same area.  Someone once told me a certain piece of genuine pioneer trail was "Boring!"  Granted, it was flat and on a dirt road all the way, but I rode a good horse at a nice steady trot, looked at the mountains and wondered what the pioneers were thinking on that stretch of trail, over 150 years before.  Boring is a state of mind, I think.  So, John, I think you have it right!

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:51 AM
Subject: [RC] Pony Passes 9K

Yesterday, while I was riding on the Rainbow Rim Trail along the north rim of the Grand Canyon on Day 4 of the ride I thought about something other endurance riders have asked me on occasion.  Sometimes people ask me why I would be crazy enough to want to ride slow and spend all day out there on the trail on my horse.  So here I was on a day away from the office riding a great horse on a beautiful day in the most gorgeous scenery imaginable, wondering who's crazy?

John Parke