Re: [RC] Stifle problem - Don Huston

Hi Karen,
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like you have been heading towards barefoot for a while also. It is a hard transition but now after 3 years I can take a sharp rasp and trim up 4 hooves in 30 minutes as long as I do it every 2 weeks. I did it tonight and then checked angles and lengths. Fronts 52-53, 3.7" looonng, 1" vertically at the back of the heel bulbs to the hairline but on the side from where the corner of the heel hits the concrete it's 2" vertically to the hairline which is why the hoof always looks like it has a lot of heel while the 1" thing never sounded right to me. I always ride with 4 Old Macs cause my horses hooves were very sore and injured when I started barefoot and will probably never be mustang-tough so why risk more lameness when he is doing super in boots (5-25's & 14-50's). He's barefoot in the pen and ring and shows no ouchy moves when racing around which pleases both of us a lot. The rears were both 55, 3.7" looonng, 1" heel. The soles were concave all on their own but lumpy with white chalky dead stuff for protection and I leave it all alone. Same for the dry hard black crust on the frog it's protection like calluses are on my feet. You ever pick at your feet and tear off a piece of callus then have to walk on it? Oh yeeaaah! Am I stupid or what? I have made some serious mods to the Old Macs and have eliminated almost all chaffing including two 3-day 100's, one 3-day 155miler and all with miles and miles of hard rock strewn roads that would have killed my horses tender feet without those tough solid Old Macs. Several times we trotted into a mess of rocks and the riders with me would start fighting their horses to keep them from going off into the weeds and anywhere else to get off the rocks so I would just pull up and walk cause who needs a tweaked suspensory anyway. I remember Eloise saying "you should see that horse pound those boots on everything and never flinch". I will get some pictures some day. Don