Re: [RC] Dressage horses - Zephyr Arabians

--- Cornelia Chamley <dr_elexus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

HI
I am actually new to the group.  I am mainly riding
dressage with my Arabian (2nd level), but also love
trail ride.  I did one CTR this spring and one LD
ride
2 weeks ago.  Now my horse and I are hooked on the
LD/Endurance.  I will continue riding dressage
though,
as I think the training helped us to go through our
first ride as well as we did.
I am pleased to hear that I am not the only person
combining dressage and Endurance riding.

You're far from the only one!  :)

I was a hunter/jumper show person as a pre-teen &
teen.  Then went on a couple NATRC (CTR) rides while I
was in high school.  I loved them, but was really
still "into" showing.  After high school I burned out
on showing and got into dressage as a training
disipline, but didn't want to show anymore.  Spent
over 10 years just training myself & my horses
(dressage), pleasure riding, and breeding for
dressage/sport horses.

Then I got the bug to get out and start competing in
something again.  I started thinking about how much
fun CTR had been, but really wanted to try endurance.
However, back in the 80s when I'd done NATRC the rumor
NATRC riders would tell you was that endurance riders
were crazy and hyper competitive.  So, it took me a
few years to work up the courage -- including spending
time lurking & "meeting" people on Ridecamp -- to go
to my first LD.  Like you, horse(s) & I were instantly
hooked!  Last year I started riding 50s and did 350
miles.  I'd really hoped to repeat or exceed that this
year, but a new home, new business, and a bunch of
other stuff got in the way so it turned into an
ultra-light year, but endurance has definately become
my riding passion.  I still use dressage for starting
horses and for variety in workouts, but endurance has
creeped in as more important to me (more fun!).
Luckily the same traits I'd been breeding for in my
dressage Arabians have transfered over to endurance
and I've had zero need to shift my breeding "program"
or even switch which horses are my main riding horses.
:)

I was affraid
that I would receive a few "funny" looks when I
showed
up in my dressage saddle, but everyone was very nice
to us.

I bet your first LD ride showed you that there are few
funny looks from anyone about anything!  One beauty of
endurance is that everything and anything is welcome
as long as horse & rider are comfortable.  That goes
for breed, tack, shoeing, clothing, camping situation,
rig, everything! :)

I did all my LD rides & a couple hundred miles of
endurance in a dressage saddle.  Of course, with a
fuzzy seat cover, ez-ride stirrups, and a pommel pack
it didn't really look like a dressage saddle anymore.
I only switched saddles because 50 miles proved that
the saddle wasn't fitting as well as it appeared to --
the horse never had a sore back, but she did get white
spots.  I've now got a treeless saddle and love how it
moves from horse to horse without worries. :)

Anyway, this got longer than I'd intended!  Welcome to
endurance.  I bet you'll be here a long time! :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com