Re: [RC] Hay--How Much to Feed? Feed x Weight, not Volume - Cynthia Eyler

Easy solution.  Get a giant-sized, clear plastic pitcher and mark off the fill lines with an indelible marker for various dry weights -- 0.5 lb., 1 lb. 1.5 lb., 2.0 lb., etc.  Then use that pitcher to scoop out beetpulp for soaking.  I used a small digital scale (handles up to 8 lbs.) to measure the appropriate volumes.

Sarah Ralston did a presentation a few years ago at the Maryland Horse Expo, about feeding the easy keeper.  Much of her talk centered on using what most of us would call crummy hay.  Not moldy, but stemmy enough that it has considerably lower caloric content.  That way the horse has plenty of hay to stay busy with, as well as lots of roughage.

Cindy