[RC] Excessive water and salt use - Carol Suggs

We also have a similar thing with our gelding.  He drinks a lot of water, and goes thru his salt blocks faster than the girls.
On a two-three hour ride its nothing for him to stop and pee several times. In his paddock his wet spot is a lot bigger than the mares.

He will be 5 this next year and has always been a big drinker.  We have never given him electrolytes nor have ever had a problem with him tieing up or colicing.  He has never gotten dehydrated on us, he recovers very nicely after what would be a hard ride for our other horses.

He likes to play in the water  (large trough) and also I think eats the salt block when bored.  So is it bad for them to drink too much water and eat too much salt?  And what do we consider to be too much?  Anyone out there know when to be concerned?

Carol-Mariposa