RE: [RC] tying to trailer with a safety knot - Nancy Sturm

Yup - we learned that lesson when my Grandson's horse scratched his ear with a hind foot and dropped his foot over the line on the Hi-Tie.  He was instantly trussed like a Thanksgiving turkey.  Fortunately the boys always have a knifte and they were nearby.  Now we keep a sharp knife where we can reach it, and we haven't left this particular horse alone at the trailer - what if we had all been at the other end of camp at dinner?

Nancy Sturm

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 10/10/2005 5:36:43 AM
Subject: [RC] tying to trailer with a safety knot

marta, it sounds like your mare probably got the end of the rope and pulled the knot loose.  this can usually be avoided by putting the end of the rope through the loop in your safety knot.  if you tie your knot right,  doing this will not compromise the "safety" feature.

while we were in the talladega national forest for the alabama yellowhammer last week, i had to rescue a horse who had stepped over his lead rope while tied to a picket line.  he was tied with a safety knot, but it pulled so tight there was no getting it loose, so i whipped out my trusty knife and cut the rope.    it is best to carry a pocketknife at all times, just in case.    cowboy ed