[RC] Sidepulls - ebeyrider

Sportack sells a Beta (softer, and looks more like leather than Biothane)
sidepull that is also a halter/bridle, so you can easily add a bit when
desired, and there is no need to change to a seperate halter when tying up.
Also, the poll straps are replacable if the horse pulls back when tied and
breaks it. Also, it can be ordered with free colored overlay on brow and
nosepieces. I have been using mine for more than four years now.

Other halter/sidepull designs that work: Gwana PonyBoy bitless bridle, which is
a rope halter that crosses under the jowls and puts pressure there as well as
on the nose (but not on the poll, like the Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle). This is
also a halter, so there is no need to change headstalls or wear a bulky halter
with the headstall.

Note: Rope halters with tied-in rings at the cheeks are too loose on the face,
and they slide up into the horses eye as the rein is pulled from the opposite
side when making turns.

Leather "English jumping hackimores" are basically a sidepull, but do not have a
built-in halter feature.

Terry
"May the Horse be with you"

Quoting Betty Edgar <betndez@xxxxxxxxxx>:

BlankBarbara,
What a great story.  I've followed all your RC stories of you and Banner
working through various rough spots, and unknown to you those stories have
encouraged and inspired me to keep on keeping on with the various horses
I've had during the past few years.  . .  long quest to find another good
endurance horse.  I've had some criticism at times for continuing to work
with a horse that others believe should be passed on to another home.  But
as you know and are proving, it takes some time to gain the trust of some
horses, those who have been frightened or hurt by others take longer.

I have such a horse who is very sensitive and has past experiences with
insensitive people and in about 10 months with me she has gained greatly in
her trust of me and her surroundings.  We have a way to go but we're making
good progress.  She has also had bitting troubles.  Because of her past in
the show world I would imagine that she was ridden only in snaffles but
until a couple of days ago I hadn't found a snaffle or any bit that she was
happy with.  It appears now that the Myler big D ring snaffle is a good one
for her.  At least she no longer resists my hand and will drop her nose when
asked to halt, but like Banner she doesn't have a smooth trot under saddle.
At liberty she moves beautifully, very light, and looks smooth.  After
hearing about your success with a side pull I'm wanting to try that on her.
Will have to scare up one from somewhere since I've never used nor owned
one.

Keep the Banner stories coming.
Betty