[RC] arab/friesian and electrobraid - Toni Jones

I have a half Friesian/half Shagya mare who is coming 5. I did one LD on her this year (Prineville Ride). She is a good cross of both breeds, and except for being a grey, she looks more Friesian at this point and moves like one. I don't ride fast, but she had no problems pulsing down or moving right along. I find her trot very comfortable and not at all springy. She is about 15.2 and is big bodied so know I will have to ride her accordingly (not fast) as she matures and gets in shape.

We have tried stainless steel based fences for years and had nothing but problems. We did a one-acre paddock with 4 strands 3 years ago with Electrobraid and it was wonderful to put up. We had no problems with the insulators or the fence kinking or anything. My 12 year old son and I did it ourselves and the fence posts 50 feet apart were marvelous. That fence is not at all saggy and we have yet to re-tighten it. Since then we've put in a two-acre paddock and also used it as a perimeter fence on a hill that is 10 acres in size. The deer come and go with nary a problem, but the horses respect it. The fence is just about maintenance free, and copper is the 3rd strongest conductor of electricity next to gold and silver that exists. The "zap" is just as safe as any other "zap" and I bought a recommended charger at the local feed store and it handles the entire fencing system. Make sure you ground it the way they suggest, though. That makes all the difference if you are in dry soil like ours in the central Oregon desert. And make sure you order enough stuff as you won't find the "stuff" you need at the local store... although we found normal insulators worked fine in a pinch when I realized I ordered too much of one kind of insulator and not enough of another. The people are great to work with, too. Order more copper split-bolt connectors than you think you need.... they are far cheaper through Electrobraid than at Home Depot!!! (but I only need 4 more!!!)

Toni Jones
Prineville, Oregon