Re: [RC] Ulcers - Truman Prevatt

DVeritas@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 10/3/2005 4:27:29 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    discovered that stomach ulcers are caused by a bacterium, not by
    emotional stress or spicy foods,  won the 2005 Nobel Prize in
    Physiology or Medicine, I'm wondering if bacterium may be a
    contributing cause in horses as well?

At the risk of causing distress to some, I've always considered ulcers to be caused by bacteria, although exacerbated by management (or mismanagement) of feeding, deworming, anxiety, exercise specificity, etc.
Frank

The state of knowledge concerneing equine ulcers is probably where the state of the knowledge concerning human ulcers 20 years ago. We really don't know alot. But I would expect that given the overwhelming evidence that the cause of ulcers in humans is in fact from a bacterium - that it would not be surprising that the same is true for equines.

There were many a blind alley along the way until the casuse of ulcers in humans was determined. I suspect there will be no fewer blind alleys with equine ulcers. But at the end of the day it would not surprise me if the causes in humans and equines were similar. Only time will tell.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics