[RC] Peace Point Ride in Bethany WV - Linda S. Flemmer

To echo what many others have said - what a wonderful ride & great weekend despite warm temps in OCTOBER!  Samantha did a great job planning the ride on short notice and even looked like she was enjoying herself!    This is the closest ride I've ever attended - less than 1 hr 45 minutes from home!  We're used to driving 5-9 hours!

Mike & I have sat out from competing for several years now between work demands, new horses and several surgeries for both of us people.  Mike almost didn't go to this ride either since :

It was the last ride of the season near us (except for the Ft Valley rides) when he'd done zero rides all year

The horse had a sour attitude on our home trails

He had a last minute business trip where he would have to leave on Sunday

My new job had me double back from evenings on Thursday to days on Friday two weeks in a row in order to have the weekend off.

I am SO GLAD we went anyway.

According to Mike, the trail was technical but very do-able.  Wonderful scenery, lots of water, lots of volunteers to counteract trail vandalism, fantastic vets and a nice base camp.  Mike rode Buck, his Standardbred on the 25 on Saturday and they had a blast.  Buck surprised us all by coming in around the middle of the pack (Mike was shooting for just a completion) and he was at criteria as he came in everytime.  Other than putting out his "mush" and holding him occasionally, I had very little crewing to do.  What a welcome break from Mike's old QH that WORKED to cool out at every vet check!

A small concession wagon set up at basecamp to provide hot food for 3 meals a day.  While the ride provided coffee & donuts, I sure appreciated a hot breakfast wrap and cocoa on Saturday.  A number of vendors were present - boy did we both shop & support those folks who sponsored the ride!

We met an elderly gentleman who was hosting a large part of one loop on his property.  He was so surprised that folks came from so far to ride there in Bethany, WV.  He was impressed with the horses, riders, and the organization.  Mike said he was on the side of the road waving as the 25 milers came thru Saturday morning.  Not every neighbor was angry at us being there!

I sure hope that Peace Point is willing to hold it again next year.  We'll both come back!

Linda Flemmer
Bruceton Mills, WV