[RC] [RC] Pros and Cons of confinement systems - DreamWeaver

So what are the pros and cons of the different types of confinement at
endurance rides.  Hi Tie, picketline, corral, electric, ect.

Well, since my horses have been involved (as witnesses, or as recipients of having various parts and pieces wrapped around them or their trailer) with accidents in the last year involving *other peoples* confinement systems that were either metal panels or electric hotwire, I put my vote in for my hi-ties being the safest!

My horses have all spent months and months on the hi-ties. The worst thing to happen to them is a rope burn, to 1 horse. I love how people say that their horses won't 'tie', but they want to put them in a portable corral (portable being the operable word here), and think that is safe.

I could tell many stories over the last year or two of all of the loose horses and accidents I have seen with the different confinement systems. I am not entirely sure if those things result because of the various systems, or the lack of training.

Horses can be dangerous. Confining them is even more dangerous. The confinement system you choose should be suited to your horse, not what somebody else uses. I have used them all, but definitely think the hi-ties are the safest, and the easiest. My horses are all trained to tie though, and I am unable to teach them to 'not rub' when they are sweaty and itchy after a ride, so a portable corral won't work for us.

My advice for choosing would be to think about the worst case scenario. If you get a panel system and the horse rolls and gets cast, what can happen? If a horse rolls on a hi-tie, what can happen? If a horse runs thru a hotwire fence, what can happen? If somebody elses horse runs thru your horses 'area', in whatever type of confinement system, what can happen?

Here is a link where I have info on the various ties on the market:
http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/horse/ties.html

Karen
in NV