[RC] WEC 2007 - RunningMtnRanch

I hope that the politics and powers in charge look at the selection process, performance, training methods, feeding practices, and finally, their personal beliefs for entire reason behind the US performance at the last two WECs.  For the US to do better, the whole program needs to be looked at from an impartial stance and revamped with the goal of best possible performance in mind.    All ego needs to go.  Do we want to be in or out?  If we want to be in, we need to play BIG.  If we want to play small, then we should piss, moan, grouse, and get out.

Experts on horse selection, horse training, rider condition, competitive strategy, and performance nutrition need to be involved.  And we should be looking outside of the endurance field for some of the expertise.  Look to what is working for other countries.  And it is as if we have moth-balled some of the finest expertise and experience in the United States.  Becky Hart, Courtney Hart, Jeanie Waldron, Lee Wittle, Mathew McKay Smith, Valerie Kanavy, Arlene Morris, Kerry Ridgeway and many, many others are responsible for the US being on top of the sport in the past.  And I certainly don't mean to step on anyone's toes for not including them.  I think of who is absent (I know Valerie was there).  Its easy to say the sport has changed as an excuse.  That's ego.  These people are the ones that figured out and pioneered the best original world performances.  These people are SOME of the ones that should be consulted for a chance at the future.  And then there are people out there that should be involved that haven't been before.  What works in other sports?  Look at the success of Chris Carmichael Training (Lance Armstrong), there is article after article of information on his website that could be relevant to IMPROVING our expertise.  And I am going to say the big nasty, Horsescience.  We aren't at the top anymore.  If we want to play big, then let's get going.  And a big thank you for those that went this time.  Please share what didn't work as a help to the WEC 2007 team.

Tish (Stoots) Pollock
AERC # 6712