[RC] The WEC and Us - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Truman said:

Is it time for the AERC to grow a set and face up to the
FEI over the dichotomy between the AERC values and those
displayed at the WEC with the option being if they lose to
walk away from the FEI "race-em-throw-em-away" mindset.

I am a little confused where some people seem to have gotten the idea that
everybody at the WEC except the Americans had a "race-em-throw-em-away"
mindset.  Or that all FEI participants (except, of course for us benevolent
Americans) has this mindset.

Certainly, the Belgian team that won a team silver medal also had a horse
that had participated in both this event and the 1998 WEC that was held in
the UAE as well (and I could be wrong, but I think Orfeo has competed at
other UAE President??s Cups, and I know for sure that he has participated
in many an FEI European event).

This doesn??t sound very much like a horse that has been used once and
thrown away to me.

Don??t get me wrong.  There wasn??t anything that I found interesting or
appealing about this year??s WEC from the pictures of the venue to the
description of the assorted social events as well as the press coverage
associated with it, and the only reason that I followed any of it was that
people I know and like (as well as some horses that I know and like) were
there participating, and I was interested in seeing how they fared (so I
could send them congratulations or commiserations as appropriate :)).

There are certainly lots of things that I sincerely hope do not spill over
into the AERC rides I do here (since, if the local rides were to become
more like what was described at the WEC, I would probably stop
participating in them), and I suspect that I am not alone, since last
summer??s bruhahhah over the Emirates Endurance Village sponsorship of the
Tevis was speaking to the same issue.

Be that as it may.  I think it is pure conceit to suggest that only AERC
riders have a care for the long term welfare of their horses and that all
those FEI racers who go faster than ??our?? riders don??t.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .