[RC] Interview with Maktoum camp on Dubai TV - Maryanne Gabbani

Very interesting interview with Sheikh Mohamed Maktoum, his sons (Dubai) and Sheikh Hazza (Abu Dhabi) on television just now. Maktoum's son is apparently sick and won't take part in the competition. They interviewed Sheikh Ahmed in the hospital. He has terminal tonsilitis or something. Kind of hard to tell from his voice because all the younger boys speak Arabic with very indistinct enunciation. They interviewed the doctor and the boy in the hospital room with frequent pans to a rack of IV bottles that are not likely to be needed for tonsilitis.

Some of their statements about horses and riding are rather unusual. One of the boys was saying something about training horses to switch between the trot muscles and the canter muscles....not sure what that refers to. The youngest boy stated that there would be more riders but the Emirati's did so well in Europe that the Europeans are scared to come. Bet His Excellency smacks the boy for that one...even if it was all in Arabic. I'm watching with some of my Egyptian friends and their comments are intriguing. I was surprised to see Sheikh Hazza in the interview with Maktoums, because he's from the enemy camp, so to speak, but apparently he is a political supporter of Maktoum over the family of Sheikh Zayed of Dubai. Frankly, endurance in the UAE is more about politics than horses sometimes, I think.

Now they are interviewing European journalists on a bus on their way to interview Maktoum. The interviewer is a bilingual Egyptian so she can ask questions in English and her Arabic is much clearer. One oriental woman wants to know how much the complex costs, but most of them seem more interested in riding. They are all very "pleased" and enjoying everything.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani miloflamingo.blogspot.com http://www.alsorat.com