[RC] Bringing 'em back in the spring -- what kind of work? - RISTREE

Hub and I got into a discussion about this today and am wondering what the rest of you think and do.

During the winter, our horses typically get about 6-10 weeks "off" with their shoes pulled.   Depending on the weather, they might get some dressage schooling, or a 3-5 mile hack from time to time, turned out in the outdoor ring and free longed.  They're in and out of box stalls 24/7 into a turnout area with sometimes icy footing.

How do you bring your horses back from a rest?  Slow work on challenging (mountainous terrain)?  Interval work on the flat?  Does it depend on what ride you're planning as your first of the new season?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

--Patti Stedman