[RC] Engrams upon engrams - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Authors YP Ivanenko, G Cappellini, N Dominici, RE Poppele, F Lacquaniti
Title   Coordination of locomotion with voluntary movements in humans
Full source     Journal of Neuroscience, 2005, Vol 25, Iss 31, pp 7238-7253

Muscle activity occurring during human locomotion can be accounted for by five
basic temporal activation patterns in a variety of locomotion conditions. Here,
we examined how these activation patterns interact with muscle activity
required for a voluntary movement. Subjects produced a voluntary movement
during locomotion, and we examined the resulting kinematics, kinetics, and EMG
activity in 16 - 31 ipsilateral limb and trunk muscles during the tasks. There
were four voluntary tasks added to overground walking ( similar to 5 km/h) in
which subjects kicked a ball, stepped over an obstacle, or reached down and
grasped an object on the floor ( weight support on either the right or the left
foot). Statistical analyses of EMG waveforms showed that the five basic
locomotion patterns were invariantly present in each task, although they could
be differently weighted across muscles, suggesting a characteristic locomotion
timing of muscle activations. We also observed a separate activation that was
timed to the voluntary task. The coordination of locomotion with the voluntary
task was accomplished by combining activation timings that were associated
separately with the voluntary task and locomotion. Activation associated with
the voluntary tasks was either synchronous with the timing for locomotion or
had additional activations not represented in the basic locomotion timing. We
propose that this superposition of an invariant locomotion timing pattern with
a voluntary activation timing may be consistent with the proposal suggesting
that compound movements are produced through a superposition of motor programs.