Re: [RC] [RC] Preparing a horse for ridecamp - DreamWeaver

A good way to start is by having your horse camp out on your trailer in whatever confinement system you plan to use -- while at home. You may need to put your trailer in your horse area, or if you have another fenced area so that if the horse gets loose, he is still confined. That is a good idea even if you are going to go on camping trips. That way your horse has already dealt with the situation, in a nice safe, calm atmosphere, before you go adding in all of the drama and commotion of being at a camp with a lot of activity going on.

I'll post some links below with information on how to hobble train a horse. I believe that this is important, basic training that should be done on all horses. It really can save your horses life, not to mention everybody else in a camp should your horse get entangled, or loose.

http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/Hobble/hobble.shtml
Although the hobble is a tool that dates back centuries and was used in horse cultures around the world, it is not commonly in use by today's more recreationally oriented horse owners. It has most definitely not outlived its usefulness in modern times. The application can vary from an outright form of restraining a horse (make no mistake, it is an effective and powerful mechanical device) to a tool to teach a horse to ground tie or to stand when tangled in wire until help arrives.

http://user.cavenet.com/parkerk/clickertraining5.html
I am writing this because I have seen many wrecks with people just putting hobbles on their horse and letting them fight it out. I teach all of my horses to hobble so if they get hung in a fence or in something on the trail they will stop and wait for me to get them untangled. I have avoided lots of wrecks and injured horses by training horses to hobble.

http://www.cha-ahse.org/teaching%20articles/submissive_jg.htm
Teach your horse to accept hobbles. Training to accept hobbles is neither difficult nor dangerous if done correctly. The hobble trained horse will likely stand quiet if his legs or feet become entangled, can be put out at a campsite to graze (supervision is necessary); but, most importantly, hobbling forces the horse to give up flight control - to become submissive. It teaches him you control his flight - if you control flight, you control the horse's mind. This almost sounds diabolical, but it isn't. It's just creating another opportunity to build that submissive "What can I do to please you?" attitude. Once he is hobble broke, hobble him in various areas where it can be done safely.

http://www.wilhowe.com/video4.htm
Hobbling is a must when camping in the
wilderness areas, and ultimately, hobble
training can save your horse from serious
injury if he gets caught in a fence or wire.

Karen