[RC] trailer curb weights - Dawn Simas

Hi had a 3h, bp Charmac.  All steel, even the roof.  I was told by the dealer that it was within the weight rating of my Dodge 250 truck, class 3 hitch (500 tongue/5000 trailer max), and was naive and trusting.  The truck was strong enough to pull that thing all over the west coast.  After a few years, I had an opportunity and weighed it at a truck scale.  Found out the tongue weight was 900 with horses, curb weight was 9000# empty!  Sold it right then.  Bought my Brenderup.  That was 6 years ago and I heard my hitch pop last month, took a look underneath it BROKE in two places.  Cracked clean off against the frame and sheared a bolt next to that.  I had the Draw Tite hitch replaced and the mechanic said that he'd never seen a hitch so tweaked.  That 1/2" steel was warped and bent all over the place, was just a matter of time, even though the Brenderup is so light, for the stress to break it.

Moral of this story, even if you think it is okay, if you are/were overweight, it is extremely dangerous, for the remaining life of your hitch.
Dawn