Re: [RC] Biltmore vets - Diane Trefethen

I second your thoughts 100% concerning the one vet we were subjected to.

If you encounter a vet at a ride that you feel has not acted professionally, you should contact the Head Vet, preferably in writing, to inform her/him of your observations, and cc the RM. Be specific, describe exactly what you saw the vet do that you felt was inappropriate and avoid emotional or inflamatory statements. If the vet in question WAS the Head Vet, then write just to the RM.

Sometimes a vet new to endurance will conduct a check in an overly thorough fashion. If a vet's actions fall in this category, (s)he will most likely be "mentored" by fellow vets to speed it up. I remember one ride where there were TWO vets doing their first endurance ride at the first VC, both very anxious to do a good job. Their pre-purchase exams had horses backed down the hill and there was a great deal of complaining about the delays. In retrospect, it was funny, but at the time, we riders didn't see the humor in the situation.

Selective vetting is highly unusual and should always be reported as should abusive or derogatory statements.

While one complaint, especially an emotional one by someone the vet pulled, might be ignored, multiple letters from different riders will definitely be noted.

And finally, if you see inappropriate behavior by an experienced vet at several different rides, write to your region's representative on the Veterinary Committee detailing the rides, dates and actions observed.