RE: [SPAM] [RC] What Weight of Electrolytes? - heidi

I have seen a recomendation by Ridgeway and Merlin that for a 100 mile ride
traveling at about 11mph the horse will require about 2lbs (1kg) of
electrolytes. I've also done the maths myself based on reported sweat volumes
and electrolyte concentrations in sweat - sure enough it seems right. But it
sounds like a large amount to me.

Yea, it is a HUGE amount.  A horse will replace much of what he loses in
food, if he is a good eater.  In addition to calculating the projected
losses in sweat, you also need to calculate what your horse is aprt to
eat during that time.  Many horses eat so much more on a ride that they
will adequately replace their e-lyte loss in food.  Some others need a
bit more help, but NOWHERE near what their sweat losses are.

I personally think that we have a tendency to go so far overboard
administering electrolytes that we are causing other problems.  I don't
e-lyte any of my horses unless they reach a point that they tell me they
are in need of some--by wanting to lick salt blocks back at the trailer,
etc.  I've ridden several horses that I have not e-lyted at all, and
that showed no interest in e-lytes, even when ridden quite
competitively.  I realize that this does not work for all horses, but I
firmly believe that we need to be thinking of replacing small
increments, not the massive doses that many horses are receiving.

Heidi