Re: [RC] Hyaluronic Acid, Glucosamine HCL and Chrondroitin - Bruce Weary

Hi Ann-
  The spine is actually a series of joints, consisting of over 100 (if you count the rib attachments) synovial joints, which are fundamentally structured like a knee or hip or ankle. It is also comprised of over 20 discs, which are between 80-90% water, and act as cushions or shock absorbers.They are condsidered joints also, but a different kind, called symphysis joints. In my experience, the chondroprotective agents (glucosamine, chondroitin, etc.) don't usually help much with back pain, but it can't hurt to add it to your husband's daily regimen.
   Interesting side note, your discs lose water from gravitational force throughout the day, while we are standing upright. At night, the discs reabsorb that water, and when you get up in the morning you are 1/4 to 1/2 inch taller than when you went to bed the night before. Have you ever had to adjust your rear-view mirror at the beginning or end of the day? When astronauts have spent several weeks in space, uninfluenced by gravity, when they returned to earth they were 2 to 4 inches taller.Now, I know women who have wanted to send their husbands into outer space for years, but can you imagine sending your 5'10" husband to Skylab, and four weeks later he comes back at 6'2"? It's too bad other parts of the body don't work that way........................... Bruce Weary

Ann Blankenship wrote:

A couple of years ago my husband had a tree fall on his head (oops) resulting in a compression fracture of T-8 (and he also has kyphosis… curved spine)  The spine not actually being a ‘joint’,  would any of the aforementioned meds be helpful to him?

He still rides but can’t do the 50’s anymore (although he pretends that he’s still training for them.)   Any opinions welcome!

Thanks

Ann