[RC] ac joint - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: mike everett mikeeverett@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

i separated my left shoulder in a foorball game in 1973.it was also severly
bruised. the bad thing was that i played seven more games with it that way. i
feel that they took advantage of me and my youthful ambitions. back then
doctors believed in heat no matter what. sports medicine was primitive then as
compared to now. i discovered cold therapy treatmeant on my own. every
wednesday that season they would give me cortisone injections in my shoulder to
clean out the trash. saturday before the game i would get a shot of carbocane
(spelling?) and then another one a half time. it did not really kill the pain
for long but gave me almost full range of motion. needless to say it ruined my
shoulder. i had trouble with it until i finally got it operated on 10 years
later. shaved off the end of my bone and removed a couple of chips. the doc
came in my room that day after surgery and handed me a deposit about the size
of a marble that had formed within my joint. cortisone ruined it. it is a bad
drug and should seldom be used. it leaves little crystalized deposits that
stick to tendons and ligaments that will cause all kinds of inflamation. it can
also melt your cartiledge and strip your joints of valuable fluids. shoulders
take a tremendous amount of time to heal and to rehab. regaining full range of
motion with some pain is the first positive step. you have to regain full range
of motion with no pain and then you are pretty much on your way to recovery.
for you parents that have kids playing sports keep a sharp eye on what is
happening in the training room!! mike