Re: [RC] Virgin Rim Photos - Dreamweaver

At 09:38 AM 9/20/2005, Karen Sullivan wrote:
> here are some photos of Chief's Epics.  He used regular Epics on the
> fronts, and the Bare Epics on the hinds for this ride.
> http://sunriseranchrides.com/VIRGINRIM_05/EPICS/VR_2005_EPICS.HTML
>
> Karen

Very impressive Karen!  Did you vet wrap under the epics?  If so, how high
up do you
vet wrap?
Karen S.

Hi Karen --
Photos and video at the top two links here: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/ Are you using the boots?

You can also see in some of the photos from the ride how far up the vetwrap goes. It takes a bit of practice to see how to wrap it so that it stays down and up, and won't creep together to meet around the pastern ;). It does work quite well though, as you can see that there are no rub spots, which is pretty good considering the # of rides Chief has done this month in them -- plus I think he's up to 31 rides in the boots this year, plus he did 4 this year before I pulled his shoes off and decided to try going barefoot and using Epics. People keep asking me if I would still be using these if it weren't for the contest -- and the answer is most definitely YES! I think that so far these boots and having Chief barefoot is the best thing I have found for him. It is a little more effort on my part. If I wrap and put the boots on in the morning, I give myself 20 minutes. One night at Virgin Rim I put the boots on the evening before, and that worked fine. I think on a multiday I still prefer to take the boots off each night and let the feet air out, then put them on again in the morning. I may change my mind after one or two mornings at Grand Canyon when it'll be below freezing tho!

One thing I did figure out and does help. The night before I'm going to put the boots on, I wet down the gaiters and folded them back as far as I can fold them. Then I let them dry in that shape. Then in the morning it made it a lot easier to get on. I already knew that getting the boots on was easier if the gaiters had been used. Wetting them and shaping them ahead of time really made it easier, especially on the bare boots.

The photos did come out really well. Of course, it is hard to take a bad photo of such gorgeous scenery! I'll convert some of the video I made and put those up in a day or two. I did get some video put up from Bryce: http://www.xprides.com/photos.html (in .avi format) We'll work on getting better at making video from horseback. Chief is just getting good at taking still photos ;)

Karen