RE: [RC] white line - Jim Holland

Actually, white line disease in horses is fairly common.  It's also known by
other names such as "seedy toe".  I have seen nothing that associates
laminitis with white line disease except secondarily. Perhaps you are
referring to some other malady. It is more common to see it as a local
problem which can be caused by a variety of things.  Like "rain rot",
sometimes it appears for no obvious reason in some horses. Sunny is very
prone to periodically having bouts with this in his front feet, and he gets
the best of care.

Here's a pretty good article.

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0197hoof.shtml

Searching "White Line Horses" will get you a lot of stuff.

I am also a farrier.  Debriding is the only sure way to "fix" the problem
once it is active in the hoof wall. Air kills the organism, which is not
really a fungus, not really a bacteria, but a "symbiotic" relationship
between several types.  A chemical analysis of the "powdery" residue may
indicate different organisms in different horses, which is why it's
difficult to destroy medicinally.

Painting the sole and hoof wall with merthiolate at each shoeing will act as
a preventative.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic