[RC] - Kathie Ford

Help!  have question for vets out there.  I have a mare I've had for 10 years now and is displaying a behavior/s I've never seen her do before.  I  think she may have a mineral and or hormonal balance and need some advice.

This mare is in pasture (dry lot though) and I free feed all my horses.  She is the alpha so always has her choice of everything and well fed.

I've notice in the last week especially that she has been picking thru manure and she's never ever done that.  To compound this behavior she has also been in season.  I watched her the other day smelling a manure pile and then "squirthing) as a mare does in heat around a stallion or gelding. I watched her do this several times just confounded by what I saw her do.

But last night was the clencher.  I took her for a walk down the street and let her nibble on some grass at a neighbors (we live in a horsey neighborhood).  She willingly ate the grass but then decided to eat the dryer grass and actually tried to pull out the plant and eat the root!  Then she was nosing around the ground looking for I don't know what and this was her preference over the nicer green grass.

So, something is not right here. She has never done this before and loves green grass.  The only thing different in the last month as far as I can think is we had some hay that was a timothy, fescue, grass mix, and another grassy hay with some Dallas grass in it that I don't know much about.

Also she I give her LMF ( a little bit with some source HF).  Her behavior otherwise is normal. Eats, drinks, peeing. pooping etc.  all looks okay.  I am perplexed totally.  Her energy level is also just fine.  Her coat is shiny and she looks healthy.  I just wormed her 2 weeks ago with Ivermectin and she just had a rabies shot.  She is however a little more aggressive as the alpha mare, but there are some changes going on with the mares below her so I figured she's just trying to keep the peace in the herd.

So, I need some advice on what to do.  Would a blood panel show any mineral/vitamin deficiencies?  Hormonal imbalance?

This is really concerning to me.  Any advice on what to do for her is extremely appreciated.  She is my first horse, my baby!  (even at 16'1).