[Fwd: Re: [RC] Man Vs Horse Ride] - Bruce Weary

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Man Vs Horse Ride
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:01:44 -0700
From: Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Katie Parker <katratvet@xxxxxxxxx>

Katie--
Man Vs Horse is a good, challenging ride with some terrific views of the Verde Valley. It is well run by my friend, Ron Barrett, who has been the ride manager for over 15 years now. It is one of the oldest rides of the SW, with this being its 22nd year, I think. The ride started on a dare between a local runner and the local endurance riders, and has grown every year, actually attracting more runners than horses at times. There are usually 150-250 participants with all the runners, fun ride, 25 and 50. The trail can be quite rocky at times, so do wear hoof protection. Your horse may want to also.;) There is a 1700 foot climb on the back side of the mountain in about 2.5 miles. I'm always glad to get that over with.
   Couple of interesting side notes: For years, the runners coudln't come close to beating the horses, even without having to stop for the vet checks. I won the ride in 1995, as many of the top riders had gotten off trail and couldn't recover the time lost (thank God for those ribbon moving techniques) and so I sneaked across the finish line first. Because I wasn't traveling at a racing speed, two runners came in before me. The only race I have ever won, and I got beat by runners. (sigh!)
  Since then, a local running pnenomenon, Dennis Poolheco, an American Indian, has beaten the horses, and soundly, the last four years. He has run the course in 6:30 before, and due to the rockiness, can make time where the horses can't. I'm sure he'll be there again this year. I'm ready for him this year, though. Just a smidgen of laxative in his gatorade, and he'll be making little stops just like the rest of us...................................So come and enjoy the ride. The weather should be great, and there is a great dinner and awards afterward.  See you there.   Bruce Weary