Re: [RC] Sweet Itch/flaxseed oil - bsbat

The way I understand it, the flaxseed is very high in Omega-3 and Omega-6
which makes the skin able to withstand the allergic effect of the bug
bites.  I was looking for something from the inside out and read a letter
in Equus magazine from a lady who used ground flaxseed to counteract the
itch in her mare.  I found out that it is the Omega oils contained therin
that helped her mare.  Researching flaxseed on the internet revealed that
it is extremely unstable and if not ground fresh everyday it loses much
nutritive potency.  This led me to try the oil because it was easier to
administer and certainly much easier than grinding seeds everyday.  I got
a gallon for about $34 and it says it must be used within 60 days but I
used mine up faster than that.  My local feed store special ordered it for
me but I looked on the bottle and here is the website. (I have not checked
it out yet)   www.animedproducts.com
 I just wanted to say that the flaxseed oil may not work for everyone
but, although it took over a month of daily consumption, it provided
immense relief to my arab gelding, Zeus, who is grateful that I tried it
and loves the flavor as well.
Jen M.

How does adding the flax seed oil counteract all the itching?
Where do you buy your flax seed oil?   I have 3 horses who all itch like
crazy due to bug bites, so  I'm wondering if this would be an economical
option.....

Susan