Re: [RC] liability and neighborhood kids? - Merryben

In a message dated 9/16/2005 8:04:47 P.M. Central Standard Time, lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
At the same time, I like to think that one should be
open to experience when it presents itself:  she was there, the horse
was there, it didn't seem like a big deal to lead her around an arena
for a minute or two.  So, what I hope to hear is that I shouldn't worry
too much, but, I don't want to be an idiot and lose the farm,
literally.  If it matters, no, I'm not being paid.
I would not worry too much but no one gets on one of my horses without a helmet, no matter what theier age.  Anyone under 18 does not ride without a helmet on my property, even if it is their own horse.  That being said, I have sponsored juniors from 5 to 16 for more years than I care to remember.  Sometimes 6 at a time.  I have waivers signed and if they go to rides with me I have power to authorize medical attention and all their insurance info with me.  In these days of cell phones it is not as critical as it used to be.  However, I had one kid who was riding her own horse on the trails and fell and ruptured her spleen.  Her mom had brought her to the ranch and she was out with the other kids and it was a freak thing.  That has been the only thing that has gone wrong since I started this junior thing in 1980.  I guess I have been lucky......mb