[RC] [RC] help a newbie with overnight camping - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you decide to tie your horse to the trailer for the night, and
if you trailer is small, make sure your horse is not tied long
enough to reach the end of the trailer w/ the rope.  I made this
mistake only once; and didn't notice that the lower back corner
of my two horse bumper pull came to a sharp point; the rope
caught on it and Shaba was stuck with his head down by the ground
and he couldn't get loose.  He then decided that a monster had
him, and started to shove himself head first and full speed into
the trailer trying to get loose.  I was asleep in the attached
4runner and woke to what felt like a huge WHAM! that shook the
car on its axles along with a whole lot of snorting.  Thought a
bear had attacked my horse, and went running out only to be faced
with a hysterical horse and my own ignorance.  Shaba was so
panicked at that time that I could not get close to his rope to
cut him loose; there were body parts flying everywhere. Luckily,
he tore the rope loose at about that time.  I now always make
sure that he can reach a water bucket in front of him, but can't
reach the back trailer edge.  My trailer has big flat fenders that
cover the wheels, and my husband welded a metal holder on each
side that doubles as an igloo holder for water when I am on the
road and a water bucket holder when camping.  That way, I can tie
Shaba short and he still has water for the night or however long
I have him tied. If you have a longer trailer, though, you may
not even have this problem.

Lauretta and Shaba (who has been working on being calmer in
close confinement situations.....Mom will always rescue me
eventually..........)