From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 12:13 PM
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: [RC] Attention all ride managers- fee hike

Steph,

I am a bit perplexed at this also. For the past while we had been told
no decisions had been made on fee increases, then today the Email hits
that tells us there has been one. My question is which way is it - has
there or has there not been a fee increase?

Truman

Steph Teeter wrote:

*Subject:* RE: [RC] Attention all ride managers- fee hike

*When was this decision made? And why was there no discussion with the
membership prior to the decision?* I don't recall seeing any notice in
the EN that the BoD was considering raising AERC's rider fees. Which
directors voted for this, and why? I hope this was a roll call vote,
as I truly want to know. AERC does not exist without rides, without
ride managers. I can think of many better places to raise the extra
funds that are apparently needed to keep the organization afloat, once
again. Just a few years ago AERC was rolling in extra funds, and half
the Board was proposing new ways to spend all this extra money. What
happened? The rides, the riders, the ride managers are the heart of
this sport. I would much rather see less money spent on the zillions
of awards given out at year's end, or the thousands spent on research
and trails grants, than ask more money from the people that define the
sport - the riders and ride managers. This is foolish.

I have recommended in the past, and recommend again that the Board
consider a professional to assist in the area of spending and
budgeting. The AERC is a corporation with a sizeable yearly budget,
and to place the responsibility for managing the financial affairs of
the corporation in the hands of a non-professional elected volunteer
(treasurer) and expect  a large Board comprised of volunteers to
understand the nuances of corporate finances well enough to make sound
decisions regarding the spending and budgeting of these funds is
ridiculous.

Plus I once again ask this Board to stop conducting your business in a
vacuum. 90% of BoD discussion of important issues occurs on the
private BoD email list. During my time as a director I watched this
list (which seemed like a good idea when the 'net was new and
exciting) evolve into a powerful persuasive tool for some individuals,
and on several occasions was personally harrassed for trying to keep
the membership informed of some of the issues that were being
discussed and settled on this list. I have often questioned the ethics
and legalities of the BoD list, where even though votes are not cast,
many decisions are made. The general membership has no idea what it's
elected corporate directors are discussing on a daily basis! This is
OUR organization, you guys are supposed to be managing it responsibly,
and for the sake of the entire organization (including the rest of us
- the 5000+ people that support and fund the organization). Also the
monthly private telephone conference calls are marginally acceptable,
where discussions are made and votes are cast in private.

Steph (mad)

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."    Niels Bohr