[RC] Thrush, soft soles, and boots - Julie Fuller

There have been several posts lately about using pads, or boots on horses that are barefoot or ouchy, and several have mentioned mushy soles and/or thrush. So, once again, I am posting my recipe for the Special Sauce I use that eliminates this problem:

One part Tincture of Iodine (AKA 7% iodine) One part Venice Turpentine One part Formaldehyde (get it from your vet, or a pharmacy)

Mix it up in a heavy plastic jug.... clothes detergent bottles are awesome, as are vinegar bottles. Then transfer some to a hoof dressing can... the kind with a brush. Always wear good quality rubber gloves, as formaldehyde is bad stuff.

I put this on my horses feet a few times a week in wet weather, less in dry And I always put in on a few days in a row after they've been shod. Since I started doing this, I've not had any ouchies, or abcesses, or stone bruises. I never pad, even for the rockiest of terrain.

If you are going to be having pads put on your horse, I suggest using this stuff every day for at least four days prior to padding. And it works great for barefoot/booted horses too. No thrush, no whiteline, so soft mushy soles. I haven't had any thrushy horses in so long, I can hardly remember what it smells like!

I have a question though.... I have suggested this stuff many times over the years, and I haven't had anyone say they use it, tried it, or any other comments. What gives? I know a few vets that used to sell it in my area, but stopped because of formaldehyde being a carcinogenic, and they were worried about liabilty. Is this keeping people from using it? Basically, what I was told was that horses, with their shorter than human life-spans are not likely to have problems with being exposed to formaldehyde. Makes sense to me. Anyway, I'm curious... especially since so many people are trying the barefoot/boot thing these days. Seems this stuff would be right up their alley, and in everyone grooming bucket.

Julie