[RC] Old Meadow Jim Goes West - wendy mancini

    I've promised that Quarter Horse of mine, Old Meadow Jim,  that I'd take him west.  As he turned 22 this year I decided it was time to go.
    On Aug. 25 we headed for Utah and the Bryce Canyon XP ride.   With Jim and my other QH Dusty Grand Bonanza (aka. Danza) in tow, my 2 daughters & 2 Jack Russels packed in the truck, it was westward ho!  We camped out at state parks  on the way out.  Spent one night with Joe Long & his wife, Kat in Castle Rock, CO. and 4 days out of NJ we hit the Dixie National Forest in Paunsagaunt, UT.  My hope was to chug our way through all 5 days.
    The scenery was breathtaking.  The country out there is magnificent.  Dave Nicholson (The Duck) and his wife Ann are the Bryce Canyon XP  ride managers.  They did a spectacular job of running all 5 days of the ride.  Every day went smoothly.  Every day there were 60 -80 riders.  Volunteers were wonderful.  All the riders were great.
    And so how did Old Jim do?  Jim completed every day for a total of 250 miles on the most challenging trails we've ever encountered.  Jim seemed to get stronger every day while I found myself taking more and more Aleve each day.  Although it took us 6 - 7.5 hrs to complete each day, Old Jim managed to finish 5th of the 22 horses & riders that completed all 5 days.  His spirit never ceases to amaze me!
    Actually, management, volunteers and all the other riders made it seem like a breeze.  Each day we headed out to a different area with the most amazing natural beauty.
    My older daughter, Heather, rode Danza every other day for 150 miles  and Sarah backed us up as crew.  The dogs guarded the campsite.
    It was a great time & great adventure.  For those easterners who haven't been west - Just go!

Wendy Mancini & Old Meadow Jim