Re: [RC] cost of rides - sowright

The world of cycling/running is very different than endurance riding, when it comes to finances.

Organized bike rides and races for runners have lower entry fees because the organizers always solicit sponsorship from local businesses.  The sponsorships usually cover ALL the costs of the event, including porta-potties, liability insurance, food, medical staff (often there is EMS and a medical tent staffed with physicians) on-site and t-shirts.  In return, the sponsors' names and logos are printed on the shirts for advertising, and they also get to include promotional brochures in the race packets.  Some race organizers actually do this for a living, and make enough money from the entry fees (which are mostly profit!) to pay themselves a modest salary.  Granted, they are busy year-round with numerous sporting events.  Larger events, like marathons, actually have full-time paid staff who work year-round to promote the race.  Marathons, which require an armada of porta-potties and platoons of volunteers with water/gatorade stations, usually charge about $50, comparable to ride fees .  On the bright side, the vast majority of these events actually support worthy charities with their proceeds, and the organizers don't take a penny of the profit for themselves.   When the proceeds go to charity, it is a lot easier to cover expenses, because the corporate donations are tax-deductible.

We used to spend about $2000 to organize a triathlon for child athletes, resulting in about 75 entrants.  All the entry fees went to a local camp for ventilator-dependent children.  We kept the entry fees very low (about $12), so more families could afford to participate.  Between sponsorships and entry fee revenue, we'd donate about $1700 to the children's camp.

It is possible to organize endurance rides the same way, but the ride manager would require a dedicated committee of volunteers to work 6-8 months in advance to secure sponsors, all for one event.  However, the end result would be lower fees for riders and a generous donation to a worthy charity.  In addition to lower fees, the riders would receive t-shirts with the sponsors' names on them.  The first year takes longer to get enough sponsortship, but once you get the sponsors committed, many of them repeat in subsequent years.

How would you feel about paying $40 for a ride (instead of $55), if you knew that there would be $1000 or more donated to a horse-related charity, or one that helped conserve our trail systems?  Would you feel better when you wrote the check?  I would!

Just some food for thought if anyone wants to try organizing a ride like the cyclists and runners have been doing for years.

Sandra Wright