Re: [RC] News release from AHA - Chris Paus

I've not had that experience. Paperwork has been done pretty well for me, but the whole thing takes us right back to where the Arabian horse industry has been since the 1970s... pandering to the show ring and ignoring the horse that people really want!

The average joe who wants to buy a horse will look at the pictures in the Arabian magazines and think horses like that are

a. out of their reach financially
b. out of their skill range
c. pretty but nuts

And the AHA wonders why numbers keep declining! Some of us are out here breeding sane and sound Arabians and converting people to the breed one by one. but we're swimming upstream.

Someone asked what those numbers are:

This is from Myron Krause's own message:

Did you know that in 1994 we had 7,452 breeders; in 1999, we had 5,969 breeders of purebred Arabians, compared to 3,241 breeders in 2004. What a significant decline; it has to tell us a very basic message: we are failing to provide a program which offers incentives for people to breed.
To which I can only add "duh"
chris

Sisu West Ranch <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"....only feel sorry for the people who have paid money into the
sweepstakes
system to promote their endurance stallions & foals...."

Their program has been broken for many years. When I bought Ranger he was
sweepstakes nominated (1/2 Arab). I dutifully sent in transfer and money
and sweepstakes stuff. In due course the registration came back, but no
sweepstakes stuff. I called them. They promised to look into it. After
months I called again. They promised to look into it. Eventually I had
missed the sweepstakes ride at SE MN for that year. I then decided that
they could perform an anatomically impossible obscene act with their
sweepstakes.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road