[RC] serious injury to horse - long - GarnerT

Last month on a training ride, my horse lost his footing on some soft ground
that gave way.  We were trotting fairly quickly.  He started "paddling"
trying to stay up.  I stayed on trying to help keep him balanced.  We've
done that a few times!  He finally lost it & fell on his right side.  We
fell really hard going downhill.  Now, I know better than to put out my hand
to stop a fall, but I was trying to get away from him since we were going
downhill.

As soon as he got up, I could tell he was injured.  My riding partner rode
back to the trailer & brought it to us (bless her).  We went to the vet.
After x-rays & ultrasounds, the news is not good.

He tore/shredded the large ligament on the outside of his elbow.  My vet
thinks we will have months of recovery with endurance being iffy.  I'm
wondering if anyone else has had this experience & how it turned out.  Right
now my vet is taking a wait & see approach with monthly ultrasounds to
monitor progress.  He was on bute & DMSO/Cortisone for awhile & is confined
to a small pen.  If it looks like the ligament is not healing, the vet has
suggested Adquan.  He admits he's not familiar with the outcome of this type
& severe injury.  My vet knows I want to rehab Taz for endurance & he's very
willing to look at options.

Any experiences from anyone on Ride Camp?  I agree with my vet; but I'm
worried that if the ligament isn't healing, what the next step will be!

By the way, I pulled the muscles in my neck & separated my
shoulder(slightly).  Thanks to my good friend Karen, I'm now riding her
mare.  I've been looking in the classified for a 2nd horse; but whew, can't
afford those prices.  I'm still planning on keeping Taz even if he doesn't
return to endurance, but I need a new horse!

Thanks for listening to my whining....

Kathy Garner